Sunday, July 26, 2015

Coffee and I

I am not a barista or coffee expert either, I decide to make this blog after visiting my grand father village after 15 year living on the island of Guam USA. As I stood under the coffee tree behind his house I can't help but to remember this trees has been growing there longer than I have been living in this world. My childhood memories consist of me playing around this rows of coffee trees hanging from it branches listening to the story my grand father told about his life.
(Just like before only 120 lbs heavier)

His family is amongst the many Indonesia hard laborer or the slaves for the Dutch East Indies company, his job is to tend the coffee plantation and the coffee mills. Until one day the Japanese took over and ended the over 350 years of the Dutch occupations. After the Dutch and the Japanese long gone he kept the trees growing and continued to raised and harvest them until he passed away 18 years ago.
    ( One of the many coffee tree at grandpa )

I remember in many of those stories he told,he mention about the kopi luwak
Or chivet coffee, as all we know it recently kopi luwak has become the new exotic coffee and sold at lucrative price.but back than drinking kopi luwak is the farcry of drinking kopi luwak today.he told me That The only way the pribumi or the native Indonesian able to drink coffee is the beans they collected off of the chivet poop,since they weren't allowed to drink the coffee harvested from the plantation.
(The coffee still producing after all those years)

For our culture drinking coffee isn't just a boost of caffeine in the morning to start a day, but a way of life, we drink coffee during gathering much as  drinking a beer during the barbecue or ball games for American, we serve our guests coffee in any time of the day,we drink coffee to rit of headache and fatigue  we honors our late ancestor with coffee offering during holy days or special ceremony.
 I remember my grand ma asked me to take a dry mixture of ground coffee and sugar to avoid motion sickness before long car ride, unfortunately I can't remember wether it helps me or not I was barely 6 years old . There is no such things as too young to drink coffee for us my mother told me that when baby given a spoonful of coffee every now and then it will prevent them from having seizure during fever. At some point my family used coffee residue as soap substitute.
Most importantly coffee has connect me to my heritage, my family and the memories of my grand parents. 
And there are many ways of preparing and serving coffee within my culture and through this blog I'm determined to discover them and share it with you guys 
Let's have one heck of caffeine induce experience !! 
☕️
Mkey


No comments:

Post a Comment